Use local and regional news sources to verify events such as demonstrations, riots, police violence, election/party turmoil, military/insurgent attacks, disappearances, and other events.
Westlaw has many news sources and if you have the name of a source, check the News Index. Access news databases from "Specialty Areas" or by typing the source name.
- International News: To access this aggregate database, click "News," the "News Index," then locate "International News in the alphabetical list. This large collection of media coverage from around the world pulls from local, regional and press services such as BBC, Agence France Presse, Deutsche Welle. Mostly English language with some English abstracts for foreign language sources. See advanced search features to search relevant dates only.
- If you click "International News" from the shaded right menu box, you can search by region or click into a region and search by country news sources.
- allAfrica.com & allAfrica.com (French): Great resource covering political, economic and social developments. Use the Westlaw version of this because the allAfrica.com website provides only the previous year.
- Agence France Presse & Agence France Presse (in French): Use these when searching events in French speaking jurisdictions. Best coverage is in French.
- Lexis Advance
There are numerous news sources available on Lexis. Type in the name of the country or city to see what is available or you can Browse Sources - By Category - News - then use search box on left to search sources.
- Access World News
Over 8000 news sources from over 150 countries. Can narrow searches to a specific country and time period.
- Ethnic News Watch
Full-text bilingual (Spanish and English) collection of newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. Includes articles editorials, columns, and reviews which provide a broad diversity of perspectives and viewpoints. Coverage is back at least to 1994.
- FBIS Daily Reports Digital Collection
This Foreign Broadcast Information Service collection consists of translated broadcasts, news agency transmissions, newspapers, periodicals and government statements from nations around the globe for the 1979-1996 time period. This is an incredible resource if your research is during that time period. If the digital collection is unavailable, we also have the documents on microfiche in the Wolff Library. Use the FBIS electronic index to search for materials and then locate the correct fiche.