Health & Human Rights Cases
The Global Health and Human Rights Database gathers and summarizes case law related to global health from jurisdictions around the world, as well as national constitutions and international instruments. The database is searchable and browsable by jurisdiction, region, and topic.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 25
- American Declaration of the Rights and Duties of Man, Article XI
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Article 12 (for a further discussion of Article 12, see General Comment 14)
- European Social Charter, Article 11
- African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights, Article 16
- Other African Union treaties related to health can be found on this page.
- Convention on the Rights of the Child, Article 24
- Additional Protocol to the American Convention on Human Rights in the Area of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (Protocol of San Salvador), Article 10
UN Special Rapporteur on the Right of Everyone to the Enjoyment of the Highest Attainable Standard of Physical and Mental Health
Established in 2002, this Special Rapporteur’s work includes gather and sharing information, reporting on the status of the right to health, proposing recommendations, and responding to individual complaints. It also issues reports and other documents on the right to health, reproductive rights, mental disabilities, and the effect of trade on health. More information is available on its website.