International investment law governs foreign direct investment and the resolution of disputes between foreign investors and sovereign states. This guide identifies the best resources for locating primary and secondary materials related to international investment law, with an emphasis on bilateral investment treaties (BITs) and the arbitration of investor-state disputes.
Key Resources for International Investment Law Research
- Global Arbitration Review (GAR)
Specialized news source for monitoring the latest developments in investor-state arbitration. Also publishes practitioner guides and annual surveys.
- Investment Arbitration Reporter (IAR) Access articles and commentary about pending and recently concluded arbitrations, plus profiles of leading arbitrators.
- Investment Claims Access arbitral decisions and awards, bilateral investment treaties, and articles and book chapters on investment law.
- Investment Policy Hub This free resource, maintained by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), covers national laws governing foreign investment, investment treaties, investor-state disputes, and related matters.
- Investor-State Law Guide (ISLG) Includes a database of investor-state dispute documents; analytical tools for researching arbitral decisions by topic or by treaty article; and a citator for determining whether arbitral decisions have been cited by tribunals in subsequent cases.
- Jus Mundi
Jus Mundi offers a user-friendly search engine with multiple filters for locating bilateral investment treaties, arbitration rules, arbitral decision and awards, and court decisions concerning the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards.
- Kluwer Arbitration Covers both international investment law and international commercial arbitration between private parties. Content includes both primary sources (treaties, national laws, arbitral decisions and awards) and secondary sources (e-book chapters, journal articles).
For more detailed information about the resources described above, see the Free & Subscription-Based Databases page of this research guide.
Research Assistance and Help with Related Topics
If you need assistance with international investment law research, visit the Research Help page of the Georgetown University Law Library's website. Or contact the Law Library's International and Foreign Law Department by phone (202-662-4195) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Georgetown Law Center students may schedule a one-on-one research consultation with a librarian.
For advice on researching the resolution of international commercial disputes between private parties, consult the Law Library's guide to International Commercial Arbitration.