Georgetown Law
Georgetown Law Library

Research Assistants

Guide listing resources for faculty research assistants


Key to Icons

  • Georgetown restricted access
  • On Westlaw
  • On Lexis
  • On Bloomberg
  • PDF Document
  • More Info Available (hover)

For Research Assistants

This guide is designed to provide basic information on library services and policies for research assistants (RAs) at Georgetown Law.

Assistance & Training

  • Training: At the beginning of each semester and summer, the library offers training for new RAs. The training is announced on the law library's blog as well as through the Office of Student Life's weekly events email. For questions about the library training for RAs, contact Jeremy McCabe in Library Research Services.

Printing & Photocopying

  • Printing: RAs are issued a special card for printing. See Lindsey Carson in the Faculty Support Office, McDonough Room 477, 202-662-9417. To print with these cards, RAs must use the Debit Card Print Stations.

  • Photocopying: RAs must get their GoCards programmed to use a print override. Go first to the Payroll Office, McDonough Room 583, for an Authorization for Photocopying for RAs form. Next, take the form to the GoCard Office, Sport & Fitness 2110, to have your GoCard programmed. You may use your GoCard and the override code to make photocopies at any of the Georgetown libraries, including Lauinger, the main campus library.

  • Color Printing and Photocopying Service: Available through Faculty Support Office, McDonough Room 475, Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.

Checking Out Books & Interlibrary Loan

  • From the Law Library: To check out books in a professor's name, RAs must complete the Faculty Research Assistant Authorization Form, available at the Williams Circulation Desk or online. Have the professor sign the form and return it to the Circulation Desk.

  • From Main Campus: RAs may borrow books from the main campus libraries in their professor's name.
  1. Complete the proxy privileges form available at the Williams Circulation Desk or online
  2. Have the faculty member sign the form
  3. Present the forms at the Circulation Desk at Lauinger or fax or email the form to activate RA borrowing privileges


  • Interlibrary Loan: RAs may borrow books not held at the law library or main campus libraries under their own ILL account or a proxy ILL account for their professor. See Instructions for RAs for further information.

  • WRLC Consortium: RAs may borrow books from the WRLC Consortium in their name only, not in their professors' names. To request books from non-Georgetown libraries in a professor's name, RAs should use Interlibrary Loan.

Research Guides and Tutorials

Check the Research Guides and Tutorials pages for assistance with specific subjects or guidance with a research process.


RAs may request a carrel at the Circulation Desk.

Summer Use of Lexis, Westlaw & Bloomberg Law

Access to Lexis, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law may be restricted over the summer. However, these services allow for the extension of access in certain circumstances.  Extensions are usually granted for students working as research assistants for professors. Visit the Lexis, Westlaw & Bloomberg services and policies page for details.

Remote Access

Wherever you work during the summer, you can use our electronic databases and contact the Reference Department for help.


JJM (9/16)