Journal articles are an excellent source for learning about narrower, more specialized topics related to international and foreign competition law. Articles published in law journals typically include extensive footnotes with citations, which will help you to locate relevant primary law materials, as well as additional secondary sources.
Finding Articles Published in U.S. Law Journals
Two types of tools for locating law journal articles are described below.
- Journal Indexes include bibliographic information about an article, such as the title, the name of the author, and the name of the journal, as well as one or more subject descriptors. Searching in a journal index usually yields more relevant articles because the searches are run only on the bibliographic data and the subject descriptors. Indexes for articles published primarily in U.S. law journals include:
- Full-Text Journal Databases allow you to search by keyword within the entire text of an article. Most of them also include some bibliographic information. It is easier to run searches in full-text databases, but they tend to retrieve more irrelevant articles than journal indexes do. The legal research platforms listed below include full-text journal databases that focus primarily on U.S. law journals:
For more information on how to use indexes and full-text databases for journal article research, consult the following library research guide: Articles for Legal and Non-Legal Research.
Finding Articles in Law Journals Published Outside the U.S.
To broaden your search to include articles published in non-U.S. law journals, use the journal indexes and full-text journal databases described below.
- Kluwer Competition Law
Kluwer Competition Law provides full-text access to articles published in three specialized journals that focus primarily or exclusively on international and foreign competition law.
- Kluwer Law Online Journals
This full-text database allows you to search across 18 English language journals published outside the U.S. that focus on various aspects of international economic law, including competition law.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals
This resource indexes articles from leading law journals around the world, including many published outside the U.S. in languages other than English. Each article is assigned one or more English subject headings, making it possible to search in English for articles published in other languages. For search tips, consult the Quick Reference Guide.
- Legal Journals Index (LJI). LJI is a Westlaw database that focuses primarily on U.K.-based journals but also includes citations to articles from English language journals published elsewhere in Europe. Bear in mind that many of the articles indexed in LJI are not available in full text on Westlaw.
How to Retrieve an Article If You Already Have a Citation
If you already have a citation to an article and want to know if the Georgetown Law Library has the article in print or in an electronic format, search the library's online catalog by title (not by keyword) for the name of the journal. The search results will display the Law Library's print and electronic holdings for the journal, along with the dates of coverage.
Alternatively, you may enter the title of the journal in the E-Journal Finder to determine if the journal is available in an electronic format from any of the libraries at Georgetown University. If the article you are seeking is not available print or in an electronic format from any Georgetown library, you may request a copy of the article via interlibrary loan.
Specialized Journals That Focus on International and Foreign Competition Law
The journals listed below focus exclusively on international and foreign competition law.
- European Competition Law Review (ECLR)
- Print: Call No. K5 .U65 (1980-present).
- Electronic: Selected articles available on Westlaw (1986-present).
- Journal of Competition Law and Economics
- OECD Journal of Competition Law and Policy (ceased publication in 2011).
- Print: Call No. K15 .E2 (1999-2002; 2004-2007).
- Electronic: Multiple Platforms (2003-2011; dates of coverage vary by platform).
- World Competition Law and Economic Review, formerly published as the Swiss Review of International Competition Law (1984-1987) and as the Swiss Review of International Antitrust Law (1977-1984).
- Swiss Review of International Competition Law
- Swiss Review of International Antitrust Law