Key to Icons
- Georgetown only
- On Westlaw
- On Lexis
- On Bloomberg
- More Info (hover)
- Preeminent Treatise
- Study Aid
Books, Articles and Databases
- Use the following library catalogs and databases to find books on Animal Law topics:
- Primo (Georgetown Law Library).
- GEORGE (Lauinger Library, Georgetown University).
- WorldCat (catalog records from thousands of U.S. libraries).
- Ebrary full text electronic books database (from on-campus only). Requires download of free Ebrary Reader.
- Do keyword searches to find sources that deal with animal law or animal rights.
- Use the subject headings of the items you find to further define your search. Some relevant subject headings of items available in our library are listed below:
- Agricultural Laws & Legislation
- Animal Experimentation
- Animal Industry
- Animal Rights
- Animal Welfare
- Animals, Treatment of
- Animals--Law & Legislation
- Domestic Animals
- Domestic Animals--Law & Legislation
- Endangered Species
- Endangered Species--Law & Legislation
- Human-Animal Relationships
- Marine Mammals
- Marine Mammals--Law & Legislation
- Slaughtering and Slaughter Houses
- Wild Animal Trade
- Wildlife Conservation
- Wildlife Conservation--Law & Legislation
- Books on animal topics can be found in several places in Georgetown Law Library.
- In Williams, find books on
- Animal Law KF390.5 A
- Animal Rights, Welfare , Ethics and Experimentation (non-legal) from HV4705to HV4955
- Animal Treatment & Law KF3832 to KF3841
- Wildlife, Marine Mammals, Endangered Species and Laboratory Animals (non-legal) from QL 31 to QL 775, R853 A53, and SK37 to SK593
- Wildlife & Endangered Species Law, KF5640
- To locate books in Wolff, see the Books and Book Chapter section of the International and Foreign Animal Law Research Guide for guidance.
- To have a book sent from Lauinger Library to the Law Center, click the "Request" button in the item's catalog record, and complete the requested information.
- To request a book from non-Georgetown libraries, use WorldCat, use the "Click here to request via ILL" link in the book's record, and follow the instructions to submit an interlibrary loan request.
- Use an articles database and/or a journal index to find articles about Animal Law. The following indexes available at http://www.law.georgetown.edu/library/research/guides/articles.cfm have articles on law and policy topics, and will be useful in researching Animal Law:
- (Index to) Legal Periodicals and Books
- Legal Trac
- Academic Search Premier (cross-disciplinary periodicals)
- Research Library (Proquest) (cross-disciplinary periodicals) -- make sure to select all databases
- Social Sciences Index
- Sociological Abstracts
- Do keyword searches to find sources that deal with animal law.
- Use the subject headings of the items you find to further define your search.
- Also, search for articles in full-text articles databases such as in Lexis and Westlaw, and JSTORand Project Muse
- Use E-Journal Finder. Enter the name of the journal to find where articles from the journal can be found in electronic format. Make sure to choose "All Libraries" from the drop-down box to see the electronic holdings at the main campus and the medical libraries; and/or the law library.
- Use GULLiver. Enter the name of the journal to see our print and/or electronic holdings for the journalTutorial
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles that are not available from Georgetown.
- Westlaw, Topical Materials by Area of Practice > Animal Law (news, articles, statutes, regulations, cases, secondary sources)
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) for scholarly (published and soon to be published) articles and working papers.
- PolicyFile, papers from public policy think tanks, non-governmental organizations, research institutes, university centers, advocacy groups, and other entities.
- PAIS International for policy documents.
- Social Sciences Databases at Lauinger Library (some available from on campus only).