Local Court System:
The D.C. Home Rule Act, Pub. L. No. 93-198, 87 Stat. 744 (1973) (D.C. Code Ann. §§ 1-201.01 to 1-207.71) provided for the establishment of the Superior Court of D.C. and the D.C. Court of Appeals. The appointment of judges for these two courts was granted to the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.
D.C. Court of Appeals
The D.C. Court of Appeals is the court of last resort for the District of Columbia. It was known as the "Municipal Court of Appeals" from 1942 to 1962 when it was renamed "District of Columbia Court of Appeals." It is authorized to review all final orders, judgments and specified interlocutory orders of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. It also has jurisdiction to review decisions of administrative agencies, boards, and commissions of the District government. It is authorized by Congress to review proposed rules of the trial court and promulgates its own rules.
Superior Court of the District of Columbia
The Superior Court handles all local trial matters, including civil, criminal, family court, probate, tax, landlord-tenant, small claims, and traffic.
Federal Court System:
United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
United States District Court, District of Columbia (trial court of DC at the federal level)
There are several Directories with District of Columbia Court system information:
- Leadership Library
It provides contact and biographical information of the D.C. Court of Appeals judges, but not D.C. Superior Court judges.
- Print version: Judicial Yellow Book: Who's Who in Federal and State Courts(JK2679 .J8 (1995-2008, print subscription now cancelled))
- Federal-State Court Directory KF8700.A19 W3 (2007 - )
(formerly titled Want's Federal-State Court Directory (KF8700 .A19 W3 (1984-2006))
It provides a D.C. Court structure chart. It also provides contact information of the Court of Appeals, Superior Court, Office of Corporation Council and Mayor's Office.
- Directory of State Court Clerks and County Courthouses (KF8700 .A19 D574) (1994-2008, 2010, print subscription cancelled )
Companion publication to Federal-State Court Directory.
- Judicial Staff Directory KF8700.A19 J83 (1987-1999, 2001-2002, 2005, 2007-2008)
It provides contact and biographical information of judges of the D.C. Court of Appeals and D.C. Superior Court.
- BNA's Directory of State and Federal Courts, Judges, and Clerks: a State-by-state and Federal Listing KF8700 .A19 K56 (1995-2012) (cancelled 2012)
It provides a D.C. Court structure chart as well as contact information of all D.C. judges and judiciary staff.
II. Court Opinions
Local Court Opinions:
Not all opinions of the D.C. Court of Appeals are published. Signed opinions and per curiam opinions are published. Memorandum Opinions and Judgments (MOJs) are not published. Superior Court proceedings can be requested from the Court Reporting Division for a fee.
Where to find D.C. Court of Appeals Opinions?
Where to find D.C. Superior Court Opinions?
- Lexis: DC Superior Court of the District of Columbia from 2001
- The Daily Washington Law Reporter KFD1247.D3 (1875 - )
Provides abstracts of selected daily cases. Opinions from 1979 to present are also available electronically.
- Tax Division, Superior Court of the District of Columbia
Tax Division cases are available through the D.C. Courts's Court Cases Online search.
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia
Clerk of the Superior Court: Duane B. Delaney
500 Indiana Ave., NW , Rm 2500
Washington , D.C. 20001
Federal Court Opinions:
Where to find U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia opinions?
[Digests are also available in Westlaw.]
III. Court Rules
Where to find Rules of the D.C. Court of Appeals?
- D.C. Court of Appeals (includes Rules of the D.C. Court of Appeals (pre-2004), Current Rules, Order Promulgating Revised Rules, and Schedule of Fees and Costs)
- District of Columbia Court Rules Annotated KFD1729 .A193 (1982 - )
- Citations to the Rules of the Courts of the District of Columbia KFD1729.A14 R8
- Court Rules Service KFD1729 .A2
Contains court rules for D.C. Superior Court, D.C. Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for D.C., and the U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C.
- Lexis: DC - District of Columbia State & Federal Court Rules
- Westlaw: DC-RULES
Where to find Rules of the D.C. Superior Court?
Where to find D.C. Court of Appeals Dockets?
Where to find D.C. Superior Court Dockets?