Table of Contents
Tools for Finding Journal Articles
Journal articles can be an excellent source for researching narrower, more specialized legal topics. Articles published in law journals include extensive footnotes with citations to primary and secondary sources that are relevant to the topic. Two types of tools for conducting journal article research are described below.
- Journal indexes include bibliographic information about an article, such as the title, the name of the author, and the name of the journal, as well as one or more subject descriptors. Searching in a journal index usually retrieves more relevant articles than searching in a full-text database because the searches are run only on the bibliographic data and the subject descriptors.
- Full-text journal databases allow you to search within the entire text of an article. Most of them also include bibliographic information, as well. It is easier to run searches in full-text databases, but they tend to retrieve many irrelevant articles in addition to relevant articles.
For more information on how to use indexes and full-text databases for journal article research, consult the following library research guide: Using Articles for Legal and Non-Legal Research.
Journal Indexes and Databases for International Cyberspace Research
You will find citations to articles written about international cyberspace topics in frequently used law journal indexes, such as LegalTrac and Legal Periodicals and Books; and in frequently used full-text law journal databases, such as those available on HeinOnline, Lexis, and Westlaw. To broaden your search to journals published outside the U.S., consider using one or more of the journal databases and indexes described below.
- Cambridge Core
Search for all types of content, including journal articles, published by Cambridge University Press. After running a search, use the filters on the left to limit by content type, subject, journal name, and date.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals
For best results, search for one or more keywords in combination with one or more subject headings. To browse the alphabetical list of subject headings, click on the "Subject" tab. When you find a relevant subject heading, enter it in the search box and select "Country/Subject Heading" as the search field from the menu before running the search.
- Oxford Journals Online
Full-text database for journals published by Oxford University Press. To limit searches to articles published in law journals, open the Advanced Search template (link to the right of the basic search box) and select "Law" as the subject.
If you already have a citation to an article and want to know if the Law Library has the article in print or electronic format, search the library's online catalog by title of the name of the journal. The results will display both print and electronic options, along with the dates of coverage. Alternatively, you may enter the title of the journal in the E-Journal Finder to determine if the journal is available in electronic format. If the Law Library does not provide print or electronic access to the journal, you may request a copy of the article via interlibrary loan.
Selected Journals Focusing on Technology-Related Topics
- Berkeley Technology Law Journal available in print (1996-2010) and online (1996-present).
- European Journal of Law & Technology available online (2010-present); formerly The Journal of Information, Law & Technology available online (1996-2009).
- Federal Communications Law Journal available in print (1977-present) and online (1977-present).
- Global Review of Cyberlaw available in print (2001-present).
- Harvard Journal of Law & Technology available in print (1988-2010) and online (1988-present).
- Information & Communications Technology Law available in print (1996-2009) and online (1996-present).
- The John Marshall Journal of Information Technology & Privacy Law available in print (1993-2013) and online (1993-present).
- Journal of Technology Law & Policy available in print (2003-2010) and online (1996-present).
- Michigan Telecommunications & Technology Law Review available in print (1994-2010) and online (1994-present).
- Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology available in print (2004-2009) and online (2004-present).
- Santa Clara Computer and High-Technology Law Journal available in print (1985-2008) and online (1985-present).
- Stanford Technology Law Review available online (1997-present).
- Tulane Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property available in print (2001-2007) and online (1999-present).