Because water law is a complicated area of the law that involves federal, state and local laws, it is often helpful to begin research in a treatise that provides an overview of the law.
Cases and Materials on Water Law, George A. Gould, Douglas L. Grant, Gregory S. Weber (7th ed. 2005), KF644 .T73
Law of Water Rights and Resources, A. Dan Tarlock (2011 - ), KF5569 .T373; current version available on Westlaw
Legal Control of Water Resources: Cases and Materials, Joseph L. Sax (4th ed. 2006),KF5568 .S28
Principles of Water Law and Administration: National and International, Dante A. Caponera (2nd ed. 2007), K3496 .C36
Water Law in a Nutshell, David H. Getches (4th ed. 2009), KF5569.3 .G48
Waters and Water Rights, Robert E. Beck, ed. (1991-2008), KF645 .W3
In addition to the treatises listed above, the library owns a variety of general and specialized resources covering water law. To find other resources:
- Try browsing the shelves around the call numbers listed for the treatises above. Generally, most resources can be found in the KF644 and KF5569 range.
- Try a subject search in GULLiver or George (the main campus library's catalog) for one of the following subject headings:
- Water -- Law and legislation -- United States
- Water Law And Legislation United States Cases
- Water Law And Legislation United States States
- Water-supply -- Government policy -- United States.
- Water resources development -- United States.
- Water resources development -- Environmental aspects -- United States -- Case studies
- Watersheds -- United States -- Case studies
- Water-supply -- Management
- Water-supply -- United States -- Management
- Water use -- United States
- Use the Library's Treatise Finder to locate additional major publications and electronic databases on water law and related topics.