Many international organizations and some governments produce reports on the human rights conditions in various countries. Human rights activists and lawyers rely on these reports for asylum proceedings and when appearing before various treaty bodies and tribunals. These reports may contain detailed information on issues such as human trafficking, FGM, rape, extra judicial killings, and political prisoners, to name a few topics. For more assistance in researching country conditions, see the CALS Asylum Case Research Guide.
- Amnesty International Annual Report
In addition to the annual report, AI produces other country or topic specific reports. The AI USA office web site is better organized and also offers easy access to older annual reports. The easiest way is to select a country and then look for links to previous years reports. Also available in print (1975 - present) in the Wolff Library atINTL HV8593.A45.
Human Rights Watch World Report 2009
This IGO annual report (previous years available under publications tab) summarizes conditions from around the world. There are many other useful reports available on a variety of topics, such as child domestic workers, labor conditions, forced evictions, etc. You can access a list of reports or try searching a country name. Also available in print (1991 - present) INTL JC571.H785.
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, Publications (selected documents, 1962 - present)
Web site includes annual reports, country reports and other publications. Many of these are available in print.
- International Committee of the Red Cross, Annual Report (1994 - present)
Also available in print (1985 - 2000) INTL HV560.R376
- UNICEF, The State of the World's Children (1997 - present)
Also available in print (1994 forward) INTL HQ92.2.S73.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), The State of the World's Refugees (five editions, published in 2006, 2000, 1997, 1995 & 1993). Also available in print (all editions) at INTL K3230.R45 S675.
- U.S. State Department Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
Information from this annual report should always be supplemented by additional research, but it is the starting point for most immigration judges and INS asylum officers. Electronic Archived versions (1993-1999) are available and the Wolff Library has the print version from 1979 - present at INTL JC571.U48. See also the Annual Report on International Religious Freedom (1999 - present) and theTrafficking in Persons Report (2001 - present).
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), The State of the World's Refugees (five editions, published in 2006, 2000, 1997, 1995 & 1993). Also available in print (all editions) INTL K3230.R45 S675